All students at HHIMS will be required to wear a school approved uniform. Students are expected to be dressed according to uniform standards at all times when school is in session. The Beaufort County School District dress code establishes standards for student attire during the school day.
SOLID COLORS: BOTTOMS – Navy blue, khaki or black (see descriptions below)
TOPS – White, gray, light pink, light blue, or navy blue (see descriptions below)
MATERIALS: Cotton or twill
- Long or short sleeve collared polo style shirts with 2, 3 or 4 buttons. No stripes or lace on collar or sleeves.
- Solid colors: white, gray, light pink, light blue, or navy blue. They may have the school logo. No other logo permitted.
- Tops must be appropriate size for the student.
- Both boys’ and girls’ shirts must be tucked in where waistband of bottoms or belt is visible at all times.
- Bottoms may be shorts, pants, skirts, skorts, capris or jumpers. Must be hemmed and worn at waist.
- Bottoms will be plain navy blue, khaki, or black.
- Skirts, shorts, skorts, and jumpers will be no shorter than 3 inches above the knee.
- Bottoms must be the appropriate size for the student. Bottoms must be worn at the natural waistline and be secured with a buckled belt if they have belt loops
- Belt buckles may not be oversized, computerized, or have offensive writing or markings.
- Long or short sleeve, plain white t-shirts, white turtlenecks, white mock turtlenecks or white tights may be worn under uniform.
- Students may wear plain, hooded sweaters or sweatshirts that fall at least to the hips over school uniforms. The sweaters or sweatshirts may be solid white, gray, light pink, light blue, or navy blue. They may have the school logo, HHIHS, or HHIMS athleticv team logo.
- Collared uniform shirts must be worn underneath sweatshirts, hooded sweatshirts, or sweaters.
- Coats, jackets, and other outerwear may be worn to and from school, but will not be permitted to be worn inside the school building. All outerwear must be kept in students’ lockers.
- Appropriate footwear must be worn at all times. Shoes with laces must be tied. Heels must be less than 2” in height.
- Jewelry and accessories must be of a size and style as to not distract from the educational environment. Large pendant, necklaces, spikes, chains, and other potentially dangerous items are not allowed.
- Gang related or other potentially intimidating clothing, accessories, or symbols will not be permitted.
- Head coverings of any kind will not be worn, carried or displayed. This includes, but is not limited to: hats, caps, scarves, ties,
- gloves, bandanas, curlers, masks, visors, kerchiefs, athletic sweatbands, earmuffs, sunglasses, and hoods.
- Personal adornments including hair color and styles or piercings must not be so extreme as to distract from the educational environment.
- Not Acceptable:
- No denim of any color.
- No Denim, Jeans, Corduroy, Sweats, Spandex or Stretch materials.
- No rolled-up pants and no tightening of pants around the ankles or knees will be permitted.
- Knit pants, leggings, sweat pants, overalls or jogging pants are not permitted.
- Crocs, slippers, and flip flops are not allowed. Only sneakers or closed toe shoes may be worn.
- No more than 4 pockets, with 2 in front and 2 in back. Bottoms may not have excessive pockets such as cargo or cell phone pockets.
- No tight, revealing clothing. No undergarments should be visible.
- No oversized belts or belt buckles – belts must be worn appropriately. They cannot hang.
School administration will make the final decision on the appropriateness of items. School administration may also make exceptions to the uniform standards for special occasions such as athletic events or field trips. All students are required to conform to the uniform standards. Documented religious or medical exceptions will be taken into account. This policy may be amended at the discretion of the administration.